Who is the QGIS course for?
QGIS is a software package that allows the user to visualise, manage, analyse and present location based data and is freely available for any business or individual. Our QGIS course is for anyone wishing to learn how to use geographic information software, with particular emphasis on those who work in ecology, conservation and the environment. It is aimed at the beginner with no requirement for prior knowledge of geographic information systems (GIS), but you should have basic computer skills.
GIS saves your business time and money by assisting in the decision making and project planning processes. GIS is therefore of use to project managers within the renewables or construction industry, estate managers & factors, crofters & farmers, ecological or environmental consultants as well as forestry managers – basically anybody who needs to manage, and present, large volumes of data related to asset management.
What will I get out of it?
The courses aim is to enable you to become more confident and competent in using and managing geographically referenced data. This is useful for sole traders, small companies right up to teams within a multinational organisation. The course is designed to give you:
- Skills to create, manage, analyse and present geographically referenced data
- Knowledge to take a project from start to finish
- Ability to identify and troubleshoot some of the most common issues
- A broad understanding of how to create GIS/data workflows
- Application of techniques to improve efficiency
- Greater confidence with the creation of quality outputs
- Training manual, with exercises, and flash drive to act as a reminder
What topics are covered?
Upon completion of this course you should leave with a solid understanding of the essential techniques to enable you to become self sufficient in using GIS for your project. The course will cover:
- Overview of GIS
- Adding data and moving around the map
- Working with layers; creating and displaying, and digitising
- Accessing free online data
- Analysis and geoprocessing
- Basic cartography including, symbology, thematic mapping & labelling
- Creating a professional output with print composer
Who is delivering it?
Nevis’ GIS and Data Manager Lucy Arnold
Where and when is the course?
If you are interested in attending the course, please call 01463 830231 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out the next available course date or to discuss your requirements.
The course is normally held in our Head Office at Dochfour Business Centre, Inverness, IV3 8GY however if you have a desired location and a number individuals with registered interest please get in touch to discuss a tailored service at a location to suit.
How much does it cost?
Course fees are £375 (ex VAT) per person for the two-day course, this includes lunches and refreshments.
How do I book my place?
Please contact the Nevis team on 01463 830231 or email@example.com for a booking form and further information.
The QGIS project actively encourage anyone to contribute, directly or indirectly, to the project.