About the role
The primary purpose of the Database and GIS Manager role is overall management and support of the Nevis database & GIS systems and applications. The role reports directly to the Head of Operations.
It is anticipated that primary objectives of the role will include:
• Input data, create maps and design data collection for Nevis staff and subcontractors.
• Provide support to the environmental team in respect to GIS + data management services, including providing all relevant maps and data collection methods required, analyses on GIS and data for reports and documents
• Maintenance and management & improvement of data collection and management systems,
• Ensure quality & security of data collected from field workers.
• Training of internal staff and in some cases external staff in GIS, QGIS and data collection
• To investigate and take forward the use of the database & GIS to service other revenue streams, including commercial and grant applications relating to data
Who are we looking for?
We recognise that the power of good advice and expertise can make all the difference to a project and the role of Database and GIS Manager is key to enable our team to deliver the quality of service we are known for. Our culture is about giving our clients a robust, valuable and expert service that meets their needs.
You see the value of data for the environment and for construction and you know that georeferenced data is the future. You will have a keen understanding that the efficient and clean recording & managing of data improves efficiency, allows for quality communication and reduces risk. You will know that a good map can tell more than 1000 words and you will enjoy finding ways to display and communicate data. Nevis has a gold standard database, which was designed to do more than it does, you will be able to see the potential, not only to keep quality, clean records but to produce opportunities for the business.
You will want to make a difference to the team and the business and be able to see the risks and path ahead. You will be highly organised and be able to organise others to achieve their goals. You will be a natural at systems and the approach to superb management of information. You will have a can do attitude and find ways to achieve goals. Even if you don’t have a deep level of experience in each part of the role, you will have enough of an understanding to ensure that the risks are controlled and that the company operates profitably and within the parameters of its strategy for growth.
We are looking for a data person, an efficient worker with a keen eye for the details, but we’re also looking for somebody who will fit in with our high performing and outgoing (in every sense) team! From climbing, horse riding, cross country skiing, hill running and mountain bike endurance racing our team really do work hard and play harder. Nevis is about its people, and its important the individual in the role of Database and GIS Manager is fully committed to driving the business forward, as well as fully supporting our fantastic team.
We are ideally seeking a candidate with a background in the environmental sector or within a consultancy setting. Somebody who thrives in a fast-paced environment with conflicting and ever-changing priorities.
• Relevant degree in numerical discipline such as GIS, Maths, Economics, Business Administration, Finance, Engineering or similar, and or extensive experience or equivalent GIS related experience, ESRI ArcGIS desktop
• Excellent GIS experience, specifically with QGIS, PostGIS and PostgreSQL
• Experience working with OS Master Map and other Ordnance Survey data.
• Experience with relational databases (PostgreSQL, MS SQL server and MS Access).
• Exposure to working with GPS & mobile devices
• Good communication skills to facilitate supporting ecologists
• Strong project management skills.
• Valid right to work in the UK
• Full driving licence.
• Naturally curious, self-motivated and enthusiastic;
• Flexible attitude and ability to be proactive and act on own initiative;
• Acts independently and takes on challenges willingly;
• Structured and logical thinker;
• A team player, willing to provide support to all colleagues;
• Ability to manage a range of priorities
• Previous consultancy or business experience
• Experience in planning, land development or construction
• Python, Structured Query Language
• Building strong, cooperative and productive relationships with the key teams involved in realising projects;
• Maintaining knowledge management system/processes, such as being methodological in structuring work, file/folder organisation